Tuesday, 30 August 2016

Serious sewing (by my standards)

I'm still keeping away from knitting and even hand sewing now (sob, sob) but I had a crafting challenge which I really had to conquer - sewing a dress for Pinky to wear to a wedding - yikes!  Pinky doesn't like fussy, frilly, 'girly' stuff so we settled on the pattern below but without the pockets and just in one fabric and definitely no lace on the lower hem.


I put my hours of watching the Great British Sewing Bee to use and tried to remember all the errors the contestants had made and then avoid them myself.

So, I read the whole pattern and (mostly) followed the instructions:



I ironed the pattern.
I used paper scissors for paper.


I cut the patterns out approximately before cutting them exactly.



Pinning (and re-pinning and re-re-pinning).

I probably spent more time reading the machine instructions than the pattern instructions,

and seeking help from this book.

I was thrilled to discover my machine could overlock and hem at the same time (kind of) which saved a lot of time

I knew I was taking it seriously when I took the trouble of marking fabric line edges with masking tape and labelling the tapes.

Really, I am a guerilla crafter when it comes to using the sewing machine, so this was a big step out of my comfort zone.  I managed it though:

Phew!

I learnt some new things from the pattern instructions and book - stay stitching for example, and I learnt more from the mistakes I made - the best type of learning I think.

In other crafting here, Pinky has continued baking once a week - not everything got photographed, but here's a blackcurrant swirl cake she made from Cake Angels by Julia Thomas.  We have each had a week to choose what she makes and this was my choice -I love the sweet and sour flavours of blackcurrant jam :-)

Yum!

Yum!

Yum!












No comments:

Post a Comment